Monday, July 23, 2012

An Alay Lakay

"The end is just the beginning." As we all sit together enjoying our last night in Haiti by reviewing what we have seen and done here, I can't help but think that this is just the beginning of something. I look around at all of us and know that we are going back to thoughts of a new school year. These blog entries have been just a piece of what I have experienced here. There have been extreme highs and extreme lows here, and it's important to be aware of both. It's important that people know what we have seen here. I came into this whole thing not knowing what to expect, and I get ready to leave not knowing what is next. There is certain work to be done that goes along with why we came here, but I leave here knowing that I don't know much about the world. I have good intentions to learn more about the world, and to see more of it, and to be more aware of it. ~~Ryan

We came as educators, we leave as friends. I have been blessed with the company of such diverse yet truly good people. As all of us return to create our Global Neighbor Schools we go with eyes  that now see differently.  What a wonderful gift to know that we have collegues in New York and Arizona who share this experience and enlitenment.  My hope is that we are able to connect and share in ways that will make a lasting impact on our students, faculty and school families showing that we are in fact all neighbors.

Missy

"An Alay Lakay" is the theme of the workshop we worked on this week.  It means Let's Go Home!  The focus is on the job of Catholic Relief Services in response to crisis and the development work that follows.  It is all about our responsibility to one another to help all people live a quality life which includes not only food, shelter and clean water but also a job, the ability to pursue one's dreams, be educated and live a life that allows us to develp the potential that is God's gift to us.  We all want that for ourselves, our childrena and for  those we love.  People who live in poverty have those same desires.  The road to achieve those dreams must seem very long.  As we get ready to go home tomorrow, I hope we can maintain the new perspective we have gained, remember the  inspiring people we met, and revel in the new friends we have made from Haiti and across our own country.  This week has been busy.  I think that my mind  and  heart have grown.  I can't wait to share all this with the Mt. Carmel kids, faculty and community that I love so much.  You won't believe the great ideas we have to share!  I could not have come to Haiti with a better team than Missy and Ryan.  I am grateful to both of them for all they have done and all they will do this year.  Right now, though, I am ready--Let's go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment