Monday, July 23, 2012

Last day in Les Cayes and back to Port Au Prince

I have so much to say about these last few days in Haiti. Les Cayes is much different from Port Au Prince. It's rural. It's full of greenery. It seems like a simple kind of life there. I had my first taste of lobster in Les Cayes, and swam in the ocean for the first time. These were personal highs for me. On the purpose of the trip I saw greatness as well. I saw more proud people from CRS, and their Haitian beneficiaries. From the rally post where women were learning to take care of their babies, to the mill being constructed to produce cassava flour the strides were visible. I have such a deep respect for these people for taking control of their own businesses and not just asking for more handouts.
The return to Port Au Prince only enhanced the progress we saw in Les Cayes. We went to see the palace and the cathedral, both destroyed by the earthquake. I immediately thought of the White House and how I would feel if it were destroyed.
---Ryan

A few years ago Bob and I traveled to Bermuda. Dozens of times I told him how “amazingly blue” the water was. I was mesmerized by its beauty. This little Caribbean of


Haiti has amazingly blue water too. On this journey I have been amazed and mesmerized not only of the island’s beauty but by other riches even more beautiful. Catholic Relief Services staff members are bright, dedicated people who give themselves whole heartedly to the task of healing Haiti’s people and the issue of poverty by emphasizing the dignity of the people whom they serve. They challenge all of us that healing and hope have to come from within the communities here. Their work and our work must be “ shoulder to shoulder” with the poor, giving them education to improve their own situation. One of our treks yesterday was to visit a school (which is not in session). Look at the photo and imagine four teachers in each row of desks in that room. They were there over the break to receive training to improve their skills and student’ understanding. We asked what they thought they needed most…the response was more materials .Everyone remember that when you are school shopping. I’m not saying go purchase material for them. I am saying a great way to be in solidarity with them is to realize what you have access to and appreciate it and to value the gift of education. An unexpected surprise was that I looked at the stenciling over top the black board as I left. I asked someone to translate it for me. It so wonderfully expresses faith of the people…”remember the eye of God is always on you.” No one seemed to be concerned that God played a key role in that public school. It seems they see Him as their partner.



Missy





I had to ask Ryan a few minutes ago what day it was!!! We have visited so many places and met so many people that it is beginning to meld together in my head and heart! We left Caritas today but before we did, two great memories were created. We all went to Mass and we were treated to a special luncheon by Fr. Pasquale. First of all the Mass—Imagine a full church with everyone dressed up…even hats on the ladies. Imagine the sound of tropical rain on a tin roof. Add to that the sounds of every voice singing and drums playing. The Mass was in Creole so I didn’t understand a word of it but what a great prayer it was! I wish our parishioners and students would raise such a joyous song. I saw all those prayerful people really celebrating but could not help but think what the rain was doing to their little homes---mud everywhere.

We had lunch before we left with Fr. Pasquale who has been in charge of the retreat center where we stayed but who will begin a new job in a few days. He will be in charge of all the schools in his diocese and will be working on teacher training and curriculum building. He has a Master’s Degree from a University in Paris so he really knows what he needs to do. He gave us a luncheon sendoff that was all home cooked Haitian and very delicious. The best part, though, was talking about the Church. We talked about the good the Church has done in Haiti, the new more conservative focus that is emerging, the hopes we all have for the coming years. Between that conversation and the Mass, I felt like I really had a better sense of the Church as universal….pretty cool!

We rode back to Port au Prince which was a four hour trek that was very bumpy and reminded me once again what happens when there is no infrastructure to take care of things like crumbling roads, rocks, and potholes! On the way back, we passed the palace of the president which had been damaged in the earthquake and will be rebuilt. It looked as though someone had lifted off the top of the building and set it back right next to where it belonged…We also passed the Cathedral which also needs to be totally rebuilt. You could still see how beautiful is was…perhaps it will be again. We heard the story of the bishop who perished there the night of the earthquake. While we were there, we got out of the car to take a few pictures and were overrun by people asking for money. The saddest part of it was that they were all very young mothers holding infants. They would hold out the baby and ask for money to care for them…How desperate does one have to be to use a tiny child as a tool to beg? It seems that in this country, everywhere you look there is a vision of despair and then just a minute later, one of hope. I have learned that if hope translates into reality, there needs to be connections and partnerships so that people like me remember how blessed are and understand the best ways to share.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment